Thursday, June 30, 2016

About a Year Ago....Lab Work: What a Comparison

About a year ago, I went to have blood work done at a local lab. I cant even remember what it was for. Not surprising, as my mind was not very sharp back then, likely due to too little oxygen.

Randall and Daniel went with me - it was a Saturday morning. I couldn't drive then - I was so swelled I couldn't fit behind the wheel. Not that I felt like driving to start with. Randall had to help me up on the curb and I shuffled in. He signed me in,  and I thankfully found a bench to sit on, as I couldn't fit in the chairs. I got called back and struggled to get to the sign in booth, sitting on the edge of the chair. I slowly got up and went around the corner to wait my turn, having to stand to wait - I couldn't sit.

I got called in and struggled to get up into the chair to have my blood drawn. It was high and I didn't have the strength to get up on it well, not to mention, again, I was too big to sit back too far. I wedged my way into it and the phlebotomist put the arm across the front, closing in over my stomach. She really couldn't get it to lock down, and tried her best to pretend like it didn't happen, trying to make me feel less horrified. I got the draw done and slowly made my way out of the lab, having to rely on Randall to help me step off the curb and get back into the van to leave. It wore me out for the entire day.

Today, I went to the lab for blood work whose results will dictate whether or not I can quit taking blood thinners or have to remain on them for my lifetime.

I drove myself to the lab.
I walked right up to the door after stepping up onto the curb, by myself.
I signed myself in.
I took a seat on a bench, more out of the underlying flashbacks.
I got called to the sign in booth, hopped right up and sat down in the chair with no issue.
I went to the secondary waiting and sat in a chair with room to spare.
I got called in, hopped right up into the chair and slid back so far that my feet left the ground. I bent my knees far enough back to put them on the little bar underneath the chair.
The phlebotomist came in, asked me to put down the arm, and I did, with plenty of room to spare,
I got my draw, hopped down and walked right out to the van, got in and made my way home, out of the van, up the stairs and back in the house, unassisted.

It's the little things that mean so much now. Thank you Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment