Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Celebrating The Small Stuff

Even the smallest of successes are victories. Never forget this. They can be as small as an ant and still have the power to carry you through a valley of self doubt which we all encounter from time to time.

In celebration of these minute miracles, I have two to share with y'all from yesterday.

First - walking. We went to Wednesday night services at church last night so that Daniel could start back to choir which he missed over these last weeks. For those of you unfamiliar with the church we attend, we go to a very large church whose campus sprawls across 11 blocks of downtown Jacksonville. We went to dinner first in the dining room, which was delicious as always - I had baked Tilapia, Roasted potatoes with onions and peppers, cheese grits and broccoli. My guys had the fried catfish and similar sides.

We used to eat there on Wednesdays while I was ill and it would take everything I had to get from the parking garage to the dining room, where I would sit and let hubby go through the line and get my dinner, after which he'd have to go through the line a second time for his own.After eating, as he would take Daniel to choir, I would slowly work my way over to the service, which was in the auditorium just a few hundred feet away. I'd then wait after the service outside in front of the building for him to go get Daniel and then the van and drive to where I was to pick me up.

Last night, we walked from the parking garage, through the buffet line and to dinner, no problem. Afterward, Daniel and I went to the service in the main sanctuary, which is an entire building away from where the service is normally held (they are remodeling the other auditorium). After the service, I walked back to the car. All of this without a walker, all under my own power.

As bad as my knees hurt last night, I couldn't have been happier with myself and felt quite accomplished. It made me feel even better about the fact that I kicked my Physical Therapist to the curb this week. I really felt like he wasn't doing me any good - he'd come to the house for 10-15 minutes twice a week, watch me do the exercises he told me to do, tell me I was progressing well and to keep it up and leave.He told me that I needed to work on my endurance and I think I tested it well last night.

My other victory was my snacking. I wanted to eliminate my after dinner snacking again, which I had gotten back into the habit of doing over the last few weeks. I had already gotten the snack down to a cup of soup - one of those k cups that have only 60 calories, but last night, despite eating dinner at 4:30 at church, I had no snacks before bed. Go me!

Bring on the weigh in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment